A complete unknown at the time, Abyss took the high-end headphone world by storm only a few short years ago when they released the model AB-1266. The secret is that beind Abyss is a respected and very serious audio company whose founding engineer had been developing this headphone for several years.
This flagship product remains at or near the top of the wish-list of many a headphone enthusuast.
N.B. NEW FOR SUMMER 2018: in their continuous pursuit of the nest in musical reproduction... ABYSS gives the AB-1266 Phi Reference Headphone a new suit, made of the hardest thin film coating on Earth. A colored polymer ceramic coating (CC) is factory applied and oven cured. This beautiful two-tone luxury black finish gives the Phi a sophisticated look and is said to enhance the quality of sound by further improving upon the anti-resonant nature of its all aluminum components. It also allows for custom color options, unheard of in the boutique headphone market. ABYSS has also improved upon the ear pads in both appearance and function. The new pads are deep and comfortable, and are said to improve acoustics by providing a larger soundstage with improved micro details. The new pads will be standard issue with the new CC model, and will also be sold separately as an upgrade for any older model AB-1266.
Available in three kits: Standard, Deluxe and Complete. The headphone itself is identical from kit to kit, the difference being the included cable(s) and accessories. All cables are high performance custom made by JPS Labs for Abyss.
- Standard: Balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) 4 pin XLR cable, with flexible 1/4" (6.3 mm) adaptor.
- Deluxe: Dual balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) 3 pin XLR cable set, and both 1/4" (6.3 mm) and 4 pin XLR cable Y-adaptors. Heavy leather man bag style carry case (made in California, USA) with extra room and pockets for an iPad, portable amp or player, for a completely portable high resolution audio system. Heavy aluminum extended height headphone stand, laser engraved ABYSS logo, always ready to play.
- Complete: as Deluxe kit, but with upgraded JPS Labs Superconductor HP Dual balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) 3 pin XLR cable set, the highest performance cables available for the AB-1266, and both 1/4" (6.3 mm) and 4 pin XLR cable Y-adaptors.
ABYSS AB-1266 Phi CC
The Greek symbol Phi φ has many contexts in science and math including magnetic flux and phase, so once we finalized all the incremental improvements made to the original AB-1266 speaker driver, it seemed a fitting suffix to this iconic Abyss model.
Musical information is clearly defined, harmony can easily be heard as individual singers within the group, instrument separation is crazy good, bass drums have the rolling of their skins, ‘bass within bass' as we call it.
The AB-1266 Phi (AB-1266φ) further refines the sonic virtues of our finest headphone with excellent transparency to the source, and hard hitting low freqency impact and resolution. More importantly, the AB-1266 Phi will preserve in history one of the finest headphones ever produced.
- Made in the USA. We machine all aluminum frame components and produce our planer speaker drivers in-house in Western New York. Leather goods such as ear pads, headbands, and carry bags are sewn in California.
- Chassis consists of left/right side frames and adjustable two piece headband. No plastic parts to break, all components machined from solid aluminum for exceptional strength. Integrated resonance control for minimal added coloration.
- High quality finishes, polished metal accents, hand-brushed artistic touches.
- Proprietary planar magnetic transducer design (Patent Pending) utilizing our very thin, very low mass diaphragm. Effortless dynamics and low level detail retrieval in the bass, mids, and highs with spacious sound outside of your head. A front row listening experience with stunning bass impact no other headphone can provide, like the finest loudspeakers in a private room.
- Matched driver pairs.
- Unique custom made high power neodymium magnets with optimized slot pattern.
- Low carbon steel front baffle with integrated resonance control.
- Unique foamed aluminum sides acoustically tuned to our planar diaphragm for completely open sound.
- High quality soft lambskin ear pads provide comfort and finely tuned acoustics. Magnetically adjustable positioning lets you fine tune acoustics and fit for your music, and you.
- Padded leather headband with head movement isolation properly distributes weight for hours of comfortable wear. Looks are deceiving, these headphones are designed not to clamp your head, but rather float atop and loosely touch your ears (no problem with eye glasses). 'Abyss' embroidered logo.
- Nicely hand-crafted two-tone felt lined wooden box touting the Abyss Headphones logo secures all of the above.
- All main components permanently laser engraved for traceability and collectability.
Specs by the numbers
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 28 KHz
- Impedance: 42 ohms nominal
- Phase: Flat
- Sensitivity: 88 dB/mW
- Distortion: Less than 1%; Less than 0.2% through ears most sensitive range
- Weight: 620 grams